Friday, June 22, 2007

I'm beginning to think that all this exercise is starting to pay off- I'm actually getting some muscles! Not sure I really like the look though- although it's got to be better than flab and bone! Some of the ladies I train are so strong- they put me to shame. One was leg pressing 100kg so I thought I'd better check out my strength. 60kg was hard, 70kg I was struggling and 80kg - NO WAY! I've improved though- now I can do 70 without too many probs and do some reps at 80kg. Don't think I could over that though- I think my joints wouldn't hold out. Any way- Arnie watchout!! Here I come!!!

3 comments:

Kek said...

Sure you can, Linda! I went from leg-pressing 40kg to 100kg in about 4 months. These days I can crank out at least a few reps at 200kg. Depends on the machine, I have managed 3 x 8 on one of them.

All it takes is training. Adaptation and overload, remember!

Unknown said...

That's fantastic Kerryn- I remember you saying you did 100kg some time ago. I used to be a big believer in overloading but I'm not sure it's for everyone and not for older people. I know I'm not exactly 'old' but I do find I injure easily and higher reps seem to maximise muscle usage without too much strain on the joints. However I shall think of you as I struggle with my 80kg and maybe that will be my inspiration!!! I still think of you when I'm in the supermarket, buying my fruit and vegies last instead of first! lol

Kek said...

Gah! You're not OLD...but yes, staying uninjured is more important than lifting impressive weights.

But a good program that lets you progress gradually will probably do the job - don't go too crazy with the high reps. Try sets of 12, make sure your technique is perfect and keep challenging those muscles.

Keep us updated. :)